“Mosquito Flats” was the site of the second “Stories in Stone” Historical Cemetery Tour. We gathered on Saturday, October 3, 2015 on the land which in 1903 Otis Collins donated for a church and a cemetery.
Familiar family names such as Collins, Rosebaugh, Atkins, Hart, and Doust all helped to build the church and clear the land for the cemetery. Today, we call this place Paradise Valley, re-named as such by William T. Wright.
The first burial in the Paradise Valley Cemetery was in 1904 when Samuel Rosebaugh passed away in December of that year. In addition to his site, the tour wound its way around and through many early pioneers of the Valley. Sue Kemmis, Museum Curator, told intriguing stories of people, places, and times. Speaking about carvings, sculptures, engravings, and epitaphs, she shared names, dates, symbolisms, and human interest stories. Several of those in attendance chimed in from time to time with additional stories of family members laid to rest at this location. Dave Gray, standing in for Historian Howard Kent, shared tidbits Howard had gleaned from newspaper articles and history books, as well as some personal recollections.
It proved to be another outstanding program sponsored by the Boundary County Historical Society and Museum. The Paradise Valley community maintained the cemetery grounds for many years, and presently the Paradise Valley Cemetery Association is in charge of grounds keeping and upkeep.
Joining us was Shelby Cowley, a member of the Association, who gave a tour of the “Little White Church” and its restoration project. This is history in the making! The Museum appreciates the cooperation of the Association in preparing this program.
What Cemetery will be featured next year? McArthur? Porthill? Copeland? Moravia? The possibilities are endless! Stay tuned.