In the fall of 1916, Charles W. Megquier began construction on a two story brick building on Main Street. This was to be used as the new Crescent Garage & Plumbing Company. As the Ford touring car dealer and distributor of Fisk tires, Megquier had already presold touring cars in anticipation of the new site. Due to harsh weather, construction was postponed to the following spring.
In 1917, construction resumed on the building with modern amenities; a seven room residence consumed the entire second floor complete with indoor plumbing which pleased Megquier’s wife, Annie. The street front allowed for automobiles to pull up for gasoline, tires and tune ups. The Crescent Garage became a booming business. An addition to the Crescent Garage was added in 1920.
From 1917 to the present, many businesses have occupied the space of the Megquier-Houck building, including the Crescent Garage, Traver’s Garage, Bonners Battery & Ignition, Blackburn’s Electric, H. E. Clack, Co., Cook’s Battery & Electric, SS&H, BG Auto, Lowe’s Natural Foods, South Hill Furniture Annex, Gini Knits, Callie’s Niche, Boundary Computer and the Boundary County Museum.
The building has seen many changes over the years: a lean-to addition at the back; upstairs made into three apartments; gasoline tanks removed; the store front enclosed; new concrete floors poured over top of the original floors; original doorways bricked up between the two buildings – only to be reopened again; two run-away truck crashes through the north wall; roof supports installed in 1996 and 2012; just to name a few!
In 2006, the Boundary County Historical Society, through a bequest from the Mary Ellen Thomason Estate, purchased the two buildings to house the Museum.
July 21, 2017 marked the 100th Birthday of the Main Building of the Museum and Portrait Hall turned 100 years old on November 30, 2020, enjoy the articles below for more information on the Museum Building.